Monday, November 15, 2010

New Species

I saw the Red-bellied Woodpecker again today, getting black-oil sunflower seeds and taking them to tree crevice and apparently breaking them open against the tree, and shortly thereafter, I saw possibly a new species of Woodpecker. It had the signature checkers on the back, black, gray and brown/tan. It was perfectly camouflaged with the bark and color of the tree, it was quite cool. Only way I was able to see it is because it seemed like he was preening while vertical on the trunk. I got my video camera but didn't see it again. Searching for the kind of species it was online proved to be harder than I thought.

I saw another new birds today, just a few minutes ago, in fact. It had gray upperparts, lighter gray underparts, black eyes, light-colored bill/beak and some white on the tail. This one was pretty easy to lookup online. It appears to be a Dark-eyed Junco. Pretty cool. After looking up info about them, they appear to be here in winter only.

The start of some cold days seem to bring a lot of new species to the feeders.

Oh, and yesterday I saw a Northern Mockingbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment