Friday, November 5, 2010

I Saved and Rescued a Carolina Chickadee Today








It was horrible to see and wonder if it was going to die. I assumed I was going to have to watch a Chickadee die... It hit the same window that the Tufted Titmouse hit a month or so earlier, and died with a seed still in his bill.

Here is the full story:

I was around the window with my binoculars when I heard the window collision. My cat was sleeping outside nearby. I rushed outside and saw it laying on the porch. You could see his little heart still beating and eyes moving and looking around. I was looking at it and it suddenly flew erratically and hit a few more things before falling again to the ground, this time in the dirt. My cat ran after it, but he overshot and didn't even see where the Chickadee landed. Luckily, I did. I jumped down to the dirt where he fell, near the side of the house. He was laying on and next to a stepping stone on his back, slightly more toward the ground at about a 145 degree angle. I could see, again, his heart beating and eyes moving around. I was really worried this could be his last moments, but was hoping for the best. My cat comes back to where the bird and I am, so I rush to get the cat inside before anything happened. I didn't want to cause him much more stress. After getting the cat inside, I ponder turning him upright onto the stepping stone with my fingers, but I end up picking up a nearby, thin stick from a bush and putting it softly on his back to turn him over. When I did this he flew erratically briefly, landing on the side of the porch. After that, I run in to get the camera and this is where the video picks up. I pretty much knew he was going to be okay after seeing him fly again. So, I take the video and the memory card gets full and the video stops. I rush in to clear more space on the memory card, but while the memory is being transferred to the hard drive, I go back outside and he's gone. He lived to fly another day. I'm so happy and relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment