Sunday, April 10, 2011

Update for the Week of April 3-April 9

You know the first nest in a birdhouse this spring I wrote about in my previous post? Well, Monday we had some big storms and very strong wind. It knocked the metal structure over that was holding the birdhouse. I don't believe there were any chickadees in it at the time, but I was still very pissed it fell over. I haven't seen the two chickadees around it in several days, so let's just say the kickoff of spring and my first bird nest in my yard this season didn't go flawlessly. I want a chickadee or titmouse, or any bird for that matter, to use my new birdhouse that's attached to a dead tree. It's really a solid home for a bird. They've just checked it out, gone in and out, but haven't made a nest in it, YET. Soring has been interesting so far. It seems like there are much less chickadees using my feeder since spring started. It seems that a lot of the birds may be trying to claim their own territory in nearby areas, at least that's what I've read birds do in spring.

Yesterday, Saturday, was the first time I witnessed two Titmice making a nest in one of my birdhouses. I was so happy. They are the sweetest, cutest birds. I managed to take a video of some of it, which is below:






No comments:

Post a Comment