Thursday, April 14, 2011

First Nests...

I've had two nests made in birdhouses in my yard so far this spring, but they've both ended in failure. The chickadee nest was the first one of the season. The metal structure it was hanging from fell over in a storm and haven't really seen them around it much since. The titmouse nest was going well last week up until sometime this week when activity around the nest suddenly stopped. I was hoping there were no annoying red wasps trying to make a nest in there as I've seen them do in many of my birdhouses. They have been a real annoyance so far, and with some of my 'houses, I can't easily see inside them without unscrewing and taking the 'house apart, which might disturb or mess up the nest a little. I have GOT to have an open-and-close mechanism on my 'houses to make sure the nests aren't being occupied by pests such as red wasps.

On another note, I've had a lack of birds at my feeders as of late. I'm thinking this might be normal in early spring. Birds may be looking for mates, claiming territory, building nests, etc. and not at my feeders as much.

Wish me luck and many visitors this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment