Monday, October 11, 2010

Vulcan Materials Rock Quarry

I live where I border a rock quarry, unfortunately, and they're really a nuisance to the community. Dynamite explosions that vibrate and shake the house sometimes and just general noise. If some of them who work and operate there had to live in my community I can guarantee you they would not want that kind of stuff. And I'm sure they don't live around here and could care less about the community.

Vulcan Materials, the largest mineral company in the country and on the S&P 500, apparently owns a lot of the beautiful woods and forest. I would hate to see those trees gone. It's a bird and wildlife playground. I've seen birds I've never seen before in there. That large piece of land where the quarry now is could have been so awesome. You can see the results of the quarry sometimes from a road. It looks like a huge cliff with a lot of trees on top of the cliff, and obviously, the gigantic hole the quarry has made in the earth. I drove up to it, got close and looked down in it one time. I mean, it was like the Grand Canyon... So far down. I felt kind of scared to be fairly close to the drop. But that's probably the only cool thing about it. What they are doing to bird and wildlife habitats and even the Earth is really damaging over time. All of the trees that are cut down have contributed to global warming. And I see it emitting a lot of pollution into the atmosphere. But on a more local level it's more about the birds and how they have to deal with the rock quarry, too. It makes me feel that it's just me, the little guy, versus a big corporation, trying to protect my property and represent the wildlife who cannot speak or communicate with us (in English, anyway). It's become clear to me that this company and corporations like it, in general, are an example of how the Earth is being slowly destroyed by corporations out for a profit, who will do anything and destroy everything that gives them more, more, MORE money and profit. I think we've destroyed enough of this place already that we have to really look at the effects of actions over the long-term. We can't just think of ourselves, we have to think about the effects it will have on not only our generation but future generations of people and wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment