Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dead Titmouse Aftermath and Two New Bird Species

It's been a few days since the unexpected and shocking death of a Titmouse from a window collision. Just sad times for me. For some reason, from time-to-time, I would still think that he could regain consciousness and wonder where he was. Just wishful thinking, really.

On to other things now.

I've seen a couple new birds species recently. After the mysterious yellow bird I made a post about several days to a week ago, there were two new birds I haven't seen before.

One I believe was some species of woodpecker. It had kind of like a female House Finch-looking head and upper body, which was a striped brown and gray/cream, and, if I remember correctly, the gray-/cream-colored lines went around the eyes. The flight feathers and back were a checkered black and white. This is what led me to believe it was a woodpecker, since a lot of them have this characteristic.

The other new bird was a solid brown/light brown with the flight feathers and back having black tips. It was at the Finch feeder, so I assumed it might have been some kind of finch. I looked the description up on the 'net, but haven't been able to positively identify it. The closest bird it looks like so far is the Desert Finch, but since they are apparently not found in the Eastern U.S. and a bird of the West, I can pretty much rule it out. But it's the closest-looking bird I was able to find.

I will try to use my binoculars w/ built-in camera or my Canon next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment