Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Squirrels: Can't live with 'em, Can't live without 'em

I am having a horrible time keeping the squirrels out of my bird feeders. It's expensive enough to feed birds, but feeding squirrels, too, is not one of my top priorities, or a priority at all, really. Oh, but they're just so cute! It's hard not to want to feed them because of how cute they look, especially while eating. I felt bad (only briefly) after repeatedly shooing a squirrel away so my Blue Jays, Tufted Titmice, Chickadees, etc. could eat without being scared off by the squirrel. The squirrel scavenged on the ground for a bit instead of the bird feeder and it looked so pitiful and cute, but that didn't last long, because it was back on the feeder eventually. I am really going to have to modify and make some bird feeders that I can use where squirrels can't get to or won't use them.

I feel they are kind of ruining my birdfeeding and birdwatching hobby, because I have to keep shooing them away and it's becoming a real annoyance and nuisance, not to mention that the birds can't get any food, especially if there's a large group of squirrels in the yard and at every bird feeder I have. And let's not forget the money issue. The more they eat, the more it costs me, and that makes for one unhappy birder. Heh.

So, let's just say I'm not a huge squirrel fan at the moment, but damn it, they are kinda cute... ' ' )

No comments:

Post a Comment