Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mates are a beautiful thing ♥

I love seeing a pair of mated birds, flying together, eating together, it's so cute. But I can usually only tell a mated male and female Cardinal because of the obvious color differences between the sexes. I just saw a mated pair about five minutes ago. And earlier in the morning I saw two female Cardinals with a male Cardinal. Not sure what that's all about, if he has two mates or just another female part of the family, but cute nonetheless. It's just too bad most or all of the other bird species around my bird feeders have no obvious differences between the male and female, so it's hard to tell if a pair are siblings, friends or an actual mated pair. But I did see something so cute one time that was the most precious thing. It was apparently a mated pair of Blue Jays on the ground, looking for food. One had a berry hanging in his bill and trying to offer it to the female, presumably. The male would try to offer the berry to her and she would hop away about a foot or two, then he would hop back to her and offer it again and she kept refusing and hopping away, and it went on a few more times. It is one of the most memorable and cutest things I've seen since I started birdwatching. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment