Saturday, December 18, 2010

Young, Dying Squirrel in His Final Hour








I witnessed something I hope I never have to witness again. I saw a cute, sweet, young, little squirrel slowly die, for reasons unknown. I will tell you the story now.

I went outside my front door for something. I noticed a small squirrel run under a bench on the porch. I assumed it was eating sunflower seeds and had ran off the porch and onto the ground. After a few minutes I let my outdoor/indoor cat, Mister Kitty, out. He went straight for under the bench, so I grabbed him and put him back inside. I looked and the squirrel was still there, facing the house and staying still. I'm a little confused. He eventually moves around a little again, then gets into a resting position, where he's laying on the ground. This is where the videos I took start. He just moves very small amounts from here on out, moving an arm or leg briefly. After the last video I took he did something. He stretched both his arms out and wiggled his body left to right slightly. It almost seemed like he was reaching out to me. I'll never forget it. I put my gloved index finger under his left paw when he did that. He had the sweetest, cutest look on his face.

Less than an hour later he died. I was with him when he took his last breath.

I can be comforted in knowing he didn't die a violent, more painful death by my cat. He wouldn't have been able to get away from the cat in the condition he was in. This was a very sad thing for me to go through, bonding and comforting him, then seeing him slowly die. I didn't really know he was going to die until it actually happened. It was heartbreaking to see him finally die.

No comments:

Post a Comment