Saturday, August 7, 2010

Saw a Downy or Hairy Woodpecker Today

I don't see them a lot. You can tell by the black and white stripes on the head and checkered feathers. They stand out quite a bit and are pretty cool-lookin', so it's always nice to see one. They apparently hang out and flock with the small birds, like the Chickadee and Titmouse. I hope they have made my little birds some good nests.

Well, the sun just went down and for the second night, the Cardinal was the last bird at the feeder. Gotta love the Cardinal. Saw it giving a seed with its bill to a female Cardinal with a black bill (interesting), and saw another female with the normal red/orange bill with them, but the male Cardinal seemed to be aggressive towards the female for some reason. Cardinals are so pretty, unique-looking and sweet and usually not very aggressive, unlike some of these super-aggressive bigger birds. I think they're Brewer's Blackbirds but not certain. They're very aggressive big birds and are probably the biggest birds I feed, either the same size or slightly outsizing the Blue Jay. One was real big and had really thick, long legs and super-super-aggressive and was dominate over all of the other Blackbirds. I know I've never seen a Blue Jay that big, but usually the others are around the size of a Blue Jay, though. They travel in large flocks and groups, too, about eight or so at the feeder at one time, I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment