Sunday, June 12, 2011

How to Keep Water in Your Bird Bath/Fountain Cold in Summer

Ice is our friend. At first, I just threw some ice cubes in the bird bath every once in a while. I then decided I wanted to try to freeze water in a large container so there would be much more ice, a more solid mass and last longer, not to mention that ice cubes will tend to flow toward the area where water is pouring into the dish, making some water splash and run out sometimes; whereas the big solid mass of ice tends to stay in one place and you can position it in a good place. I used a milk jug first, then a 2-liter coke bottle. I figured I could just cut the top part off of the 2-liter, until I realized there was an end near the bottom that got narrower. Either way I would have to cut both types of containers making it unusable again. I think a good container to use would be a bucket, fill with water, freeze, then get it out and let it unfreeze slightly so it will loosen and be able to just slide right out. I will give that a try soon.

The robins nesting above my bird bath seem to really love my ice-cold bird bath in this 90+ degree heat.

***UPDATE*** (July 19, 2011, 11:59 A.M.)

I'm now using a thermos (vacuum flask) and freezing water in it. Being reusable is a big plus, and it can easily slide out after letting it thaw briefly, then wedge a butter knife around the sides to help loosen it.

***UPDATE*** (August 2, 2011, 10:08 P.M.)

Still using a large thermos; works very well. I've noticed that it seems to do much better if I let it thaw inside at room temperature than outside where it's hotter. I'm not sure why, but I got the thermos out while trying to take out my broken ice maker. I put a butter knife on the sides in about six places, then I tipped it upside down and hit the bottom of it a few times and it just slid right out. My experience from letting it thaw outside was that it was melted way too much, where only about 25% of the ice was left, before I could get even it out of the thermos (was using a knife on the sides, too). I still might try running it over some hot water briefly to see how that does...

No comments:

Post a Comment