Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Week of the Cicada

They're all over the place, hundreds, thousands in my yard alone. Crazy! When they molt, they are hanging halfway out of their shell and look pale white. It's a pretty freaky sight. And you can hear them. I hear this distant sound, like a mechanical sound or an idle diesel engine running. That's kind of what they sound like, at least how they sound far away and in an apparently large group. When nearer to them, you can hear the buzzing.

In nesting news, the cardinal appears to have abandoned her nest near my house. That's unfortunate. But it appears that there are definitely two chickadees nesting in a birdhouse near my house. I see one or both coming and going. It almost looked like today a chickadee came out with a fecal sack but I'm not sure. The titmice look to be nesting somewhere else, not in my yard anymore, although I still see them around. It has been so dead at my birdfeeders the past month or so. Totally unexpected. I guess the good news is I can finally sleep-in 'til 9 or 10. That feels pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment